Celtic were left stunned after a late equaliser from Rabbi Matondo secured a dramatic 3-3 draw for Rangers in a pulsating Old Firm showdown at Ibrox Stadium last weekend.

Matondo's superb strike snatched a point for the hosts, leaving Brendan Rodgers' side with a bitter pill to swallow after going in at half time with a comfortable lead.

The game had all the hallmarks of a classic Old Firm derby. Celtic scored inside the first minute through a Daizen Maeda deflection that redirected James Tavernier's attempted clearance into the net.

The early goal silenced the Ibrox faithful, and Celtic had the upper hand throughout the first half. However, Rangers embodied the fighting spirit that has become their trademark this season.

They slowly worked their way back into the game, and their persistence eventually paid off with two second-half goals dragging them level.

The drama didn't stop there. Celtic clawed back into the lead through Irishman Adam Idah with three minutes remaining, setting the stage for a tense finale.

Matondo then struck to send the home supporters into a frenzy. The final whistle sparked a brief post-match skirmish, highlighting the intense emotions this fixture always ignites.

Rangers’ Tactics Raise Plenty of Questions

The last-gasp equaliser could prove pivotal in the title race. Conceding within seconds of the kick-off is always a recipe for disaster and Rangers' game plan of drawing out the Celtic press simply backfired.

The Ibrox faithful barely had time to settle in before their team was on the back foot, unable to play through or over the relentless Hoops pressure.

Rangers lacked width to build pressure when Celtic were sat in their shape, making it easy for a well-drilled Hoops defence to contain them. Clement’s side struggled to break the lines and create attacks quickly from the back which further hampered their attacking flow.

Even when space opened up, Cyril Dessers was consistently outmuscled by Cameron Carter-Vickers, and there was no pace in the front line to push back the Celtic defence.

Celtic exuded composure throughout the match. Rodgers' side were clinical in their approach, punishing every Rangers mistake. The Hoops' comfort on the ball stood in stark contrast to the home side's relentless giveaways and lost duels.

If not for a string of impressive saves by goalkeeper Jack Butland, Celtic could have easily gone into half time with more than a two-goal lead.

Rangers’ strategy of building out from the back backfired spectacularly. Their slow and predictable approach offered Celtic the perfect platform to press and pounce on errors.

The second goal perfectly exemplified this issue. Connor Goldson’s controversial handball inside the box offered Celtic a golden opportunity from the penalty spot, which Matt O'Riley converted with a cheeky Panenka.

While Rodgers' face beamed with joy on the away bench, a glum Philippe Clement cut a frustrated figure on the touchline.

Celtic still needed Joe Hart to make a big double save just before half-time to deny Fabio Silva. However, the visitors always looked far more likely to get another goal.

The Hoops were clearly the more threatening side, forcing Clement's hand at half time. Scott Wright was replaced by Abdallah Sima in the hope he could inject some life down the flank.

As the history of this fierce rivalry suggests, a two-goal lead is never safe and Rangers emerged from the break a transformed team, their intensity levels skyrocketing compared to the sluggish first-half showing.

The reward came swiftly as a penalty was awarded after a VAR intervention for a foul on Fabio Silva. He was initially penalised for diving, but a VAR review saw the referee rescind the decision and hand Rangers a penalty.

James Tavernier stepped up with nerves of steel, burying the spot-kick past Hart. Rangers equalised in the 86th minute from Sima, who profited from an uncharacteristic mistake from Callum McGregor in the middle of the park.

However, the game was far from done as Idah looked to have won it for Celtic just a minute later before Matondo snatched a point for Rangers inside stoppage time.

Rangers were miles off their best, yet still earned a result that means they are in pole position to stop Celtic from claiming a third consecutive Scottish Premiership title.

While Idah’s late strike would undoubtedly have delighted Celtic’s sizeable Irish fanbase, Rangers ensured the Irishmen had little to smile about at the end of the game.

With the best betting apps in Ireland now heavily favouring Rangers to secure the title, it appears even the bookmakers think Celtic are now chasing a lost cause.

With the odds firmly in their favour, Rangers have their title destiny in their own hands. Knocking Celtic off their perch would be the perfect way to end the season.

However, they must avoid the tactical woes that blighted their performance on Sunday to ensure they complete the job over the next few weeks.