Liverpool should have taken the lead on five minutes when Dominic Corness sent Ben Doak through for a one on one with Jacob Pazikas with the Rangers keeper making the save. Barely a further sixty seconds had passed though when Liverpool took the lead. A poor kick from Jacob Pazikas put the defence under pressure and when the ball landed at Ben Doak inside the right side of the box he showed great skill to lob the ball over Robbie Fraser, Greig Allen did well to block the shot but the ball ran for Oakley Cannonier who knocked the ball into the net.

Rangers were back on level terms almost immediately, a good move sent Zak Lovelace through the centre and he was brought down by keeper Harvey Davies for a clear penalty which was duly converted by Charlie Lindsay. Liverpool were back in front on seventeen minutes, Bobby Clark providing the pass to Melkamu Frauendorf inside the box to shoot past Jacob Pazikas.

Ten minutes later Luke Chambers progressed to the left hand byline and his low centre was fired past the near post by Oakley Canonnier. Rangers could and probably should have equalised just after the half hour, Zak Lovelace won the ball and sent Connor Allan through, he was denied by keeper Harvey Davies but the ball went to Robbie Ure at his right hand post but the Rangers striker’s header went across goal and wide.

Ten minutes before the break Dominic Corness sent Oakley Carnonnier through on goal, Jacob Pazikas saved the initial effort but the striker got the break of the ball and passed it into the empty net.

Half-Time: Rangers 1 - 3 LIverpool

Check out Elfideldo's Rangers Youth Site

For 12 years, Elfideld's Youth blog has been the primary source on Rangers youth football from the academy to the B team

Visit Elfideldo's page now

The game changed two minutes into the second half when Lee Jonas was shown a straight red card for hauling down Robbie Ure who was through from Robbie Fraser’s pass. Just over ten minutes later Robbie Fraser advanced on the left and passed to Robbie Ure inside the box, the Rangers striker flashed a shot across the face of goal.

Just after the hour Ben Doak in possession inside the left side of the box picked out Dominic Corness on the edge at the box but he shot straight at Jacob Pazikas. A minute later Rangers were back in the game Arron Lyall exchanging passes with Zak Lovelace to break into the left side of the penalty area and slip the ball past Harvey Davies.

Rangers were level less than ten minutes later, Zak Lovelace attacked the left side of the penalty area and went past two defenders and deep into the box, his shot struck the inside the near post and rolled across goal to present Robbie Ure with a tap in. With ten minutes remaining Liverpool took the lead from a Ben Doak solo effort, there seemed little danger with the Liverpool attacker hemmed in at the right hand corner flag but he wriggled away and cut into the box leaving defenders in his wake before shooting across the keeper and into the far corner.

Rangers had one half chance deep into injury time, Robbie Fraser’s corner from the right landed at Lewis MacKinnon beyond the back post but he shot wide of the near post.

Full-Time: Rangers 3 - 4 Liverpool

Rangers: Jacob Pazikas; Jack Harkness, Lewis MacKinnon, Greig Allen (Connor Young 84 Mins), Robbie Fraser; Bailey Rice (Paul Nsio 73 Mins); Connor Allan, Charlie Lindsay; Arron Lyall, Robbie Ure, Zak Lovelace.
Not Used: Mason Munn (Gk), Kelsey Ewan, Mackenzie Strachan, Tyler Pasnik, James Graham.

Liverpool: Harvey Davies; Terry Miles, Jarrell Quahsah, Lee Jonas, Luke Chambers; Dominic Corness; Bobby Clark, James McConnell; Ben Doak (Tommy Pilling 92 Mins), Oakley Canonnier (Lewis Koumas 38 Mins), Melkamu Frauendorf.
Not Used: Luke Hewitson (Gk), Charlie Hates-Green, Ranel Young, Trent Kone-Doherty, Francis Gymiah.

Discuss this article

Enjoyed this analysis? Disagree entirely? Found a spelling mistake? Whatever your opinion, it's welcome on our popular and friendly message-board.

Visit Gersnet Forum