Yet it was Rangers who carved out the first real chance of the game on thirteen minutes, good play on the right involving Jack Harkness, Paul Nsio and Ross McCausland ended with the latter picking our Robbie Ure with his cross but the Rangers striker headed wide of the far post. Liverpool responded with Dominic Corness’s twenty-five yard free-kick that deflected off the defensive wall and forcing Jacob Pazikas to save low to his right.

On seventeen minutes Bobby Clark dispossessed Robbie Fraser on the left and when he passed to Oakley Cannonier inside the box it too a superb Connor Allan challenge to clear the danger. With the midpoint of the half approaching Liverpool took the lead, from Dominic Corness’s corner from the left Jarell Quansah rose to power a header goalwards with Oakley Canonnier glancing a header past Jacob Pazikas at close range.

The Rangers keeper was then caught in possession outside his box by Oakley Cannonier but his effort at the unguarded goal went wide of the keeper’s left hand post. There was twenty-six minutes on the clock when the home side doubled their lead, Melkamu Frauendorf in possession on the left passed inside to Bobby Clark who’s shot from inside the left side of the box struck the far post but Ben Doak was on hand to net the rebound.

Eleven minutes before the break Melkamu Fraundorf sent Luke Chambers to the left hand byline, from his centre Ben Doak spun on the six yard line and only a superb Robbie Fraser block prevented a goal. Two minutes later Bobby Clark robbed Paul Nsio and passed to Melkanu Frauendorf who shot straight at Jacob Pazikas from around twenty-five yards. Rangers were under the cosh and Liverpool were creating chances on a regular basis and in the next attack Ben Doak burst into the right side of the penalty area with Jacob Pazikas beating the shot away. A minute later the attack came on the other side with Luke Chambers breaking into the left side of the penalty area and on this occasion Jacob Pazikas parried the shot.

The final chance of the half saw a Bobby Clark through ball releasing Oakley Canonnier and once again Jacob Pazikas came to the rescue by making the block.

Half-Time: Liverpool 2 - 0 Rangers

Check out Elfideldo's Rangers Youth Site

For 12 years, Elfideld's Youth blog has been the primary source on Rangers youth football from the academy to the B team

Visit Elfideldo's page now

It took Liverpool nine minutes into the second half to extend their lead, Jarell Quansah powering a header past Jacob Pazikas from Dominic Corness’s left hand corner. They came close against five minutes later, James McConnell passed to Luke Chambers on the edge of the box and his effort was only just wide of the keeper’s right hand post.

Just after the hour Bobby Clark fed Dominic Corness inside the box but another great Connor Allan challenge cleared the danger. A minute later Bobby Clark cut in from the left and Jacob Pazikas was forced to make a save low to his left.

Chances were again coming at a regular basis and a minute later Ben Doak attacked the right side of the box with Jacob Pazikas blocking with his legs. Rangers had a rare foray forward with twenty-five minutes remaining, Charlie Lindsay’s free kick from wide left was headed clear as far as Paul Nsio but his shot was easily dealt with by Harvey Davies.

A better chance followed a minute later, Ross McCausland’s cross from the right was volleyed goalwards by Zak Lovelace forcing Harvey Davies to save low to his right. Liverpool were soon back on attack and with ten minutes remaining Bobby Clark picked out Melkamu Frauendorf inside the box but he was denied by a superb point-blank save from Jacob Pazikas. The Rangers keeper was called into action again, saving from Ben Doak with an outstretched foot after he was setup by Bobby Clark.

Liverpool added a fourth in the ninetieth minute, Trent Kone Doherty feeding Luke Chambers inside the left side of the penalty area and he shot across the keeper into the far corner. The last action of the match deep into injury time saw Rangers bag a consolation goal, when the ball was played into the penalty area from the left it broke to Connor Young who drilled the ball past Harvey Davies.

Full-Time: Liverpool 4 - 1 Rangers

Liverpool: Harvey Davies; Issac Mabaya (Terence McLoughlin-Miles 71 Mins), Jarrell Quansah, Lee Jones, Luke Chambers; Bobby Clark, Dominic Corness, James McConnell; Ben Doak, Oakley Canonnier, Melkamu Frauendorf (Trent Kone-Docherty 85 Mins)
Not Used: Luke Hewitson (Gk), Lewis Koumas, Charlie Hayes-Green, Ranel Young, Francis Gyimah.

Rangers: Jacob Pazikas; Jack Harkness, Lewis Mackinnon, Connor Allan, Robbie Fraser; Mackenzie Strachan (Bailey Rice HT); Paul Nsio (Greig Allen 73 mins), Charlie Lindsay; Ross McCausland (James Graham 85 Mins), Robbie Ure (Connor Young 88 Mins), Zak Lovelace (Tyler Pasnik 85 Mins).
Not Used: Sam Kane (Gk), Kelsey Ewan.

Discuss this article

Enjoyed this analysis? Disagree entirely? Found a spelling mistake? Whatever your opinion, it's welcome on our popular and friendly message-board.

Visit Gersnet Forum